19 January 2010

kisMet dreams ...

Greetings from Margaret RIver,
After much apprehension I made it to Cape Lodge Winery for my debut as a waitress. I will admit to you that I didn't last three days as hoped. I worked from 5pm -11pm & that was enough for me. It isn't waitressing itself that bothers me, rather the uber-posh environment I was in. They put me in a white button up shirt (that I had to button up all the way to the top), black pants, black shoes, black apron & I had to pull my hair back. Then I would go to tables & say things like, "Madame, a complimentary hors d'oeuvre from the chef; a seared sea scallop with a chilled cucumber soup." I felt so awkward. And each time I would serve a course announcing it's long list of components or ask the guest if they wanted still or sparkling, I would walk away laughing at myself/cursing myself because it was so not me. Furthermore, I must have forgotten to mention how clumsy I am in the interview because they expected me to balance multiple plates & cutlery while clearing the table. Needless to say I barely rescued a plate of knives from dropping on an innocent bystander.

GOOD NEws is that I am now working at an art gallery/jewelry workshop on an amazing piece of land in Margaret River. The owners have just finished building the natural/modern space (think walnut slats at the entry from the floor curving up to ceiling, frameless glass corner overlooking the land) & it will open tomorrow. I am to help design a few things for them, create interesting displays & meet with the guests. The best part is that the family who owns this gallery & another in town are very down to earth. When I met with Francoise he outlined the position as someone who could instantly connect with people as they walk in & make them feel comfortable. I would learn all about the artists & jewelry making process while learning the business side of running a gallery. When he asked if I had any sales experience, I explained that while I have never sold merchandise, I have had a lot of experience selling my ideas in design, art & fashion. He loved it.



! IMAges from Redgate Beach !
xxx

No comments: